5 Best Probiotics For Sleep & Insomnia (UPDATED)
For this article, I have searched for probiotic supplements that are ideal for making you sleep deep, improving its quality, and helping with sleep loss due to psychological distress.
According to SleepHealth.org, in 2022, 50 to 70 million Americans were affected by sleep problems. This indicates the need for some effective remedies that pose minimal risks – which is where probiotics come in.
Here are my 5 Top Picks for the Best Probiotics for Sleep:
- Optibac Everyday Probiotics– Best for deep sleep.
- Probulin Total care probiotics– Best for stress-related insomnia.
- Innovixlabs Multi-Strain Probiotics – Best for improving sleep quality.
- Biotiquest simple slumber probiotics – Best for anxiety-induced insomnia.
- Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Platinum Series restore sleep probiotics – best for depression-caused sleep loss.
The development in research has identified that some Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are effective in putting you in a deep slumber, and they communicate via the gut-brain axis to help you relax.
Hence, in this article, you will find probiotic supplements that are best for promoting undisrupted sleep and sleep loss due to mental health problems.
So, keep reading to know all about my favorite picks!
How I Made Selections for the Best Probiotics for Sleep?
Some specific species, like B. infantis and L. reuteri distinguish regular supplements from probiotics that specifically have sleep-inducing benefits.
Apart from this, other factors that I considered while selecting the most suitable product for your needs include cost, potential allergens, refrigeration, and the specific CFUs of the probiotic.
Here is why:
A product that has more elaborate benefits and high-quality ingredients will naturally be priced higher than its counterparts.
Nonetheless, some budgeted options that vary from $15 to $30 are just as good.
But if you are looking at the high end of things, then some products that are worth spending your bucks on can cost around $75 and $80.
In the subsequent section, I have included some moderately priced supplements and one expensive one so that you can understand the difference.
Non-refrigerated probiotics are hands down the better option than refrigerated ones.
The probiotics in shelf-stable pills are protected such that they are resistant to environmental fluctuations. Hence, they can feasibly be carried in a purse and remain potent because they are less likely to lose viable CFUs.
Conversely, refrigerated probiotics can perish at non-ideal temperatures, which may affect their effectiveness.
The presence of allergens is a critical factor in products because it may trigger a hypersensitivity reaction in those who are allergic to them.
Some potential allergens include dairy, eggs, gluten, corn, nuts, shellfish, peanuts, soy, etc.
Apart from that, some users may also prefer non-GMO supplements that are free from artificial colors, dyes, chemicals, and preservatives.
Hence, I have mentioned the allergens present in my probiotic recommendation in the pros and cons section to help you make an informed decision.
4. Probiotic Strains and CFU
When it comes to probiotic strains and CFUs, products that showcase clinically approved and FDA GRAS probiotic strains are superior to proprietary blends.
Most supplements contain 10 to 20 billion CFUs, which is enough to improve general well-being, but others may have more than 50 billion CFUs as well.
A higher CFU count only makes a better probiotic if it is aimed at treating a certain medical condition.
Some bacterial species that may help induce sleep are L. fermentum, L. casei, L. reuteri and B. adolescentis, so you should be looking for their presence in your probiotics for sleep.
In the next section, I have compiled a list of my probiotic recommendations, which are categorized on the basis of these features and some more.
So, without any further ado, let’s explore them.
5 Best Probiotics for Sleep
Whether it’s depression, anxiety, or stress from your daily life chores that are taking away the pleasure of sound sleep from you, I’m positive you’ll definitely find a supplement that’ll work for you in my list of recommendations below.
Moreover, I have also looked up products that will help you get restorative sleep under normal circumstances.
1. Optibac Everyday Probiotics (Best For Deep Sleep)
CFU: 5 billion CFUs
Dosage: Manufacturers recommend taking one to two capsules every day, preferably with breakfast. You can also consume it by dissolving the capsule contents in a cold food or drink.
Probiotics Strains: 6 strains
- 2 Lactobacillus strains (L. rhamnosus Rosell-11, L. acidophilus/helveticus Rosell-52)
- 3 Bifidobacterium strains (B. longum Rosell-175, B. breve Rosell-70, B. bifidum Rosell-71)
- 1 Lactococcus strain (L. lactis Rosell-1058)
Certifications: Packed in FSC Certified cartons. Moreover, Optibac Probiotics won the platinum prize in the best gut health probiotic for 2023.
Storage: It has to be stored in a cool, dry place at temperatures below 25 °C and away from sunlight. Preferably, you should refrigerate it after opening it to maintain maximum potency.
Cost: You can purchase a one-month supply (30 capsules) for $17.99. However, the standard USA delivery charges of $4.99 or $6.99 for express delivery will also be added on top of the product cost.
Optibac everyday probiotics regulate the digestive process, which promotes overall well-being and may help induce deep sleep.
Probulin has brought together the most well-researched Rosell strains, which are stomach acid resistant to ensure that you sleep tight all night.
Here is some scientific evidence that proves the benefit of Optibac probiotics for deep sleep.
Prevents The Gut From Causing Sleep Disruption: In science, deep sleep is considered to occur in the last phase of non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep, and it restores, regenerates, and strengthens the body.
In this context, it is a known fact that stress can disrupt the gut microbiota balance, which may cause gastrointestinal issues and sleep disturbances.
For instance, in one study, researchers found that the simultaneous administration of Lactobacillus helveticus R0052 and Bifidobacterium longum R0175 can promote digestive comfort and better sleep.
Promotes Uninterrupted Sleep: A 2021 study noted that administering B. longum to university students under exam stress improved their sleep quality and duration compared to the placebo.
What’s more is that it has fructooligosaccharide, and in a 2017 BBC documentary, Dr. Moseley shared that the prebiotic fiber intake reduced his time spent awake from 21% to 9% in just 5 days.
Improves General Wellness: Scientists found that a proprietary probiotic formulation that had strains similar to those used in the Optibac pill improved sleep patterns, digestive health, stool frequency, and consistency.
It had Lactobacillus helveticus R0052, Lactobacillus rhamnosus R0011, Bifidobacterium breve R0070, Bifidobacterium longum ssp. longum BB536, Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis R1058 and two other Rosell strains.
- Improves digestive health, overall well-being, and peaceful sleep.
- Non-GMO, free of yeast, gluten, sugar, preservatives, and artificial colors or flavors.
- Contains prebiotic fiber.
- Suitable for pregnant or lactating women and lactose-intolerant individuals.
- Free delivery is available only on orders above $100.
- Not recommended for children or individuals on certain medications or underlying medical conditions.
- The return or exchange policy is valid for only 14 days.
Where to buy:
- It can be bought from both the official website and the Amazon store for $17.99 (30 capsules).
2. Probulin Total Care Probiotics (Best For Stress Related Insomnia)
CFU: 20 billion CFUs.
Dosage: Manufacturers recommend taking one capsule daily, either with or without food.
Probiotics Strains: 15 species
- 7 Lactobacillus species (L. acidophilus, L. fermentum, L. rhamnosus, L. reuteri, L. brevis, L. bulgaricus, L. helveticus)
- 3 Bifidobacterium species (B. longum, B. lactis, B. bifidum)
- 1 yeast specie (Saccharomyces boulardii)
- 3 Pediococcus species (P. acidilactici, P. pentosaceus)
- 1 Propionibacterium species (P. freudenreichii)
- 1 Streptococcus specie (S. thermophilus)
- It is third-party tested.
- It is manufactured in NSF certified cGMP facility.
Storage: Refrigeration is not necessary; it is shelf stable.
Cost: You can buy a bottle of 30 capsules for $42.99.
They say that a happy tummy brightens up the overall mood, and the Probulin total care probiotics took note of the saying and put it to practice for putting you to sleep.
It contains probiotics and prebiotics that support digestive function, which may also uplift the mood and help you get a good night’s sleep.
Here is a snapshot of how Probulin helps with sleep and stress.
Improves Sleep Quality: A 2022 review concluded that prebiotics, especially in the Lactobacilli and bifidobacteria reduce stress and enhance sleep quality, and Probulin has them.
It contains L. fermentum and L. helveticus, which have a reputation among the scientific community for improving sleep.
Improves Level Of Happy Hormone: In one study, scientists fed L. rhamnoses to stressed individuals and found that it changed the gut microbiome such that it raised the serotonin levels and dampened the physical outcomes of acute stress like sleep.
Likewise, studies show that B. longum reduces perceived stress.
Minimize The Detrimental Effect Of Stress: A 2020 study reported that L. acidophilus could moderate the detrimental effects of stress on the immune system and the autonomic nervous system caused due to skipped night sleep.
- Improves digestive health, stress, and sleep quality.
- Vegan, free from dairy, gluten, soy, and GMOs.
- Upholds a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- The probiotics are protected by MAKTREK 3-D technology and shipped cold.
- Contains the inulin prebiotic.
- Delivery costs apply to orders below $50.
- A bit costly.
Where to buy:
- You can purchase it from the official website, Walmart, or from the Amazon store for $42.99 (30 capsules).
3. Innovixlabs Multi-Strain Probiotics (Best For Improving Sleep Quality)
CFU: 50 billion CFUs
Dosage: Manufacturers recommend taking a single capsule with food daily.
- 17 Lactobacillus strains (L. helveticus, L. bulgaricus, L. delbrueckii LE, L. reuteri 1E1, L. rhamnosus Lr-32, L. fermentum LF61, L. brevis Lbr-35, L. gasseri Lg-36, L. rhamnosus SPI, L. acidophilus La-14, L. acidophilus DDS, L. casei Lc-11, L. salivarius Ls-33, L. rhamnosus HNOOI, L. plantarum Lp115, L. paracasei Lpc-37, L. rhamnosus GG)
- 8 Bifidobacterium strains (B. animalis lactis BIFOLACTM 12, B. longum 81-05, B. bifidum Bb-06, B. animalis lactis VK2, B. breve Bb-03, B. lactis HN019, B. lactis Bi-07, B. lactis BL-04)
- 1 Lactococcus strain (L. lactis LI-23)
- 1 Streptococcus strain (S. thermophilus St-21)
- 3 Bacillus strains (B. subtilis DE111, B. coagulans, B. clausii
- 1 yeast specie (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)
- It is a BBB-accredited business with an A + rating.
- It is 3rd party tested.
- The products are manufactured in cGMP-certified facilities.
Storage: Refrigeration is not required; the strains remain viable at room temperature.
Cost: A single bottle contains 60 capsules which will last two months and cost $25.99. However, you have to pay the standard delivery charges as well.
A single capsule of Innovixlabs probiotics for sleep provides you with a dose of diverse microbial species (yeast, Lactobacillus, and Bifidobacterium species) as well as fiber and bacteriophage prebiotics.
Here are some examples of studies that prove the benefit of Innovixlabs ingredients for promoting undisturbed sleep.
Promotes Sound Sleep: A 2018 study reported that L. helveticus reduced the number of times the participants woke up during the night in the intervention group as compared to the placebo.
Promotes Gut Health: The IBS symptoms like abdominal pain or bloating at night and gut inflammation may cause fragmented sleep.
Hence, spore-forming and soil-based bacterial strains such as B. coagulans in Innovixlabs improve gut inflammation and relieve symptoms so that you can have a sound sleep.
Contains Prebiotics To Reinforce Probiotic Effect: The bacteriophage blend and fiber multiply the chance of successful seeding and growth of the probiotic bacteria in the gut, which enhance its effectiveness.
Besides, a 2016 study discussed that fiber is associated with inducing deep, restorative sleep.
- Improves immune and gut health and sleep quality.
- A non-GMO product, doesn’t contain gluten, soy, egg, sugar, peanuts, shellfish, artificial colors, and flavors.
- Contains prebiotic fibers and a patented bacteriophage blend (preforpro).
- Offers a 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Only orders over $50 are exempt from the shipping fees.
- Individuals sensitive to yeast, barley, and corn should avoid it.
- Not recommended for children.
- Pregnant and nursing women or individuals on medication should consult a doctor before use.
- Purchases made outside the US are non-refundable.
Where to buy:
- You can visit Innovix Lab’s official website, Walmart, or the Amazon store to buy it for about $25.99 (60 capsules).
4. Biotiquest Simple Slumber Probiotics (Best For Anxiety Induced Insomnia)
CFU: 18 billion CFUs
Dosage: You can take it once a day, preferably with food.
Probiotics Strains: 6 bacterial strains
- 2 Lactobacillus species (L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. plantarum (LP-36))
- 1 Leuconostoc strain (L. mesenteroides (LM 37))
- 1 Bifidobacterium specie (B. longum)
- 1 Bacillus strain (B. subtilis (DE-111))
Certifications: It is manufactured in facilities that follow GMP practices.
Storage: It is shelf stable and suitable to be stored at room temperature. Nonetheless, storing in the fridge will increase the life of the product.
Cost: You can buy a bottle of 30 capsules for $39.99; additional shipping costs will also be applied upon checkout.
The Biotiquest simple slumber probiotics ease anxiety, reduce oxidative stress, improve digestive health, and increase serotonin and melatonin levels so that you can sleep better.
The link between sleep loss and anxiety is evident from a national survey in Norway which exhibited that about 51.9% of men and 59% of women are comorbid with anxiety and insomnia.
Hence, probiotic strains that target both conditions will effectively improve sleep, and here are some benefits of Biotiquest in this regard.
Increases Serotonin Levels: Science says that 95% of the serotonin (happy hormone) is released from the intestine, and the modulation of mood, sleep, and gastric motility is one of its many functions.
It is starting to make sense, isn’t it? Good gut health corresponds to good mental health and good sleep, and vice versa.
Correspondingly, Biotiquest has tryptophan which serves as a by-product for synthesizing serotonin in the body.
Relieves Anxiety: This supplement helps because it contains B. longum, and studies show that it imparts anxiolytic effects via the enteric nervous system or via the HPA axis (gut-brain axis).
Delivers Exact Quantity Of Viable Cells: The probiotics are protected inside HPMC capsules which are stronger than gelatin cases, and safely trek the exact quantity of viable cells to the small intestine for colonization.
- Reduces anxiety, improves gut health, and helps to sleep better.
- The probiotics are enclosed in vegetarian HPMC capsules.
- Contains a prebiotic.
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Not recommended for children.
- Should not be taken with antidepressants (MAOI or SSRI drugs).
Where to buy:
- You can buy it from the official website or Amazon store for $39.99 (30 capsules).
5. Garden Of Life Dr. Formulated Platinum Series (Best For depression-caused sleep loss)
CFU: 200 billion CFUs
Dosage: You can take one capsule before bed.
Probiotics Strains: (11 strains)
- 6 Lactobacillus strains (L. paracasei Lpc-37, L. plantarum Lp-115, L. acidophilus La-14, L. casei Lc-11, L. bulgaricus Lb-87, L. gasseri Lg-36
- 4 Bifidobacterium strains (B. lactis BL818, B. bifidum Bb-06, B. infantis Bi-26, B. longum Bi-05
- 1 Bacillus strain (B. subtilis DE111)
- It is NSF certified gluten-free.
- It is manufactured in cGMP-certified facilities.
- It is a Non-GMO project verified.
- It is certified by B-corporation.
Storage: Shelf-stable – does not require refrigeration.
Cost: $80.69 for a bottle of 28 capsules. (A bit on the pricier end)
The Garden of life restores sleep probiotic supplements are a complete deal.
They have all the probiotic strains, prebiotics, postbiotics, and herbs that are scientifically acclaimed for curing depressive symptoms and inducing restful sleep.
For comparison, among mental disorders, depression is a bigger cause of missed sleep than anxiety.
This is apparent in the Norway survey that I referenced before as well; 61.3 women and 55.4% of men suffer from sleep loss and depression simultaneously.
Considering this, here is some scientific evidence that backs the effectiveness of Garden of life probiotics for improving depression and sleep.
Contains Psychobiotics Strains: This probiotic supplement contains L. plantarum, L. casei, B. infantis and B. longum probiotics, all of which help you snooze and relieve depression.
Additionally, it has the L. plantarum postbiotic, and a recent 2021 study on 15 participants indicated that it was safe and effective for enhancing immune function and sleep.
Elevates Serotonin Levels: Low serotonin levels are known to cause depression and drastically reduce the duration of restorative (NREM) and recovery (REM) sleep.
But this probiotic has B. infantis and L. paracasei, which are known to promote the growth of butyrate-producing bacteria, which is beneficial for increasing serotonin levels when taken up by B. infantis.
Contains Sleep-Inducing Herbs: It has calming herbs like chamomile, lemon balm, valerian, and passionflower extracts which have certain compounds that naturally induce sleep.
- Promotes digestive and immune health and restful sleep.
- Non-GMO, vegan, free from allergens (soy, dairy, gluten).
- Contains both pre and postbiotics, plus sleep-inducing herbs.
- Free- shipping.
- Quite Expensive.
- Not available for purchase on the official website.
Where to buy:
- You can only purchase it from Walmart or online marketplaces like Amazon store for $80.69 (28 capsules).
- Nonetheless, the official website can help you find a nearby retailer.
Which Probiotic Helps With Sleep?
Some probiotic bacteria that help with sleep are L. casei, L. reuteri and B. adolescentis, B. longum, L. fermentum or L. helveticus. Some examples of probiotic supplements that help with sleep are Biotiquest simple slumber and Garden Of Life Dr Formulated Platinum Series restore sleep probiotics.
When Should I Take Probiotics For Sleep?
It is not compulsory to take probiotics at night. However, it is preferable as they can colonize better during this time. The colonization of the supplemental bacteria is important because the therapeutic effect of probiotics does not show immediately. Instead, you will start to feel a difference gradually after your gut dysbiosis starts to heal.
Is It OK To Take A Probiotic Every Night?
Yes, it is best to take probiotics before bed because gut motility slows down at this time; hence, good bacteria have more time to colonize the gastrointestinal tract.